I’ll start by saying that this solution happened to fix my frozen taskbar issue. I can’t guarantee it’ll work for you but it’s worth a shot!
Another annoyance in Windows 10 that can surface (pun intended) is the freezing of the taskbar. Not only does it freeze but the Windows button stops responding as well meaning Windows key shortcuts don’t work!
For me, I’m able to tell that I’m about to cop this “feature” when I’m logging in. I’ll enter my secure password and hit login only to experience the slowest login ever. Windows seems to sit there for 60 seconds thinking about what to have for dinner before it presents me with a practically unusable desktop. Things seem to load a little slower and the system just feels unresponsive.
If you’ve Googled around you’ll most certainly have seen all of the solutions that recommend you run /sfc scannow, edit the registry and other things. Absolutely none of these solutions worked for me.
This is what my solution was:
- If you’re already logged into Windows, shut the system down. If everything is freezing on you, hit CTRL + ALT + DEL, bring up the task manager and initiate a shutdown there. Essentially, use a safe, graceful method to shutdown your PC.
2. Power your PC back up.
3. When you get to the Windows login screen, do not login.
4. Look down the bottom right for the power button icon.
5. Click the power button icon and click restart.
6. When your system restarts and you get the login screen again, then login using your credentials.
I have absolutely NO idea why but this fixes my frozen taskbar every time. It’s crazy if you ask me! Hopefully Microsoft figures out what’s causing it and applies a fix in an update.
I’m definitely curious to see if this actually works for anyone else! Seriously, let me know!